«

»

Mar 10

‘Clean Eating’, What is it?

Clean eating is not a diet, it is a simple approach to a healthy lifestyle.  It is centered around eating mainly whole foods that are unprocessed and in their natural form. (meaning no added chemicals or ‘man-made’ ingredients).  It’s a diet high in healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, lean proteins, and lots of water.  I see it as a lifestyle, not a diet, that provides your body with healthy, natural, and nutrient rich foods.

 

What are the Benefits?

A lot of people go for the clean eating lifestyle for the weight loss benefits.  Sure, you can (and probably will) lose weight eating clean. In fact, that contributed to me losing about 50 pounds. Eating clean will also make you FEEL better. It can balance your energy levels because your body is absorbing more nutrients than it is with processed foods. Nutritious foods also help prevent disease by building a stronger immune system.  By building a stronger immune system, your body will be able to naturally fight off illness more easily and you will be able to recover more quickly.  Who wouldn’t want that?!

 

What should I eat?

You should be eating as many natural, whole foods as possible.  Things like: all fresh fruits & vegetables, lean meats (preferably organic free range chicken, grass-fed beef, wild caught fish), nuts, natural nut butters, greek yogurt, 100% whole wheat / grains (breads, pasta, torillas, brown rice, quinoa), rolled or steel cut oats, hummus, eggs (preferably cage free), almond milk, coconut milk, etc…

 

What should I try to eliminate?

Sugary drinks like soda & juice, fast food, fried foods, anything ‘enriched’ (White flour, rice, breads, and pastas), preservatives, products labeled ‘reduced fat’ or ‘low fat’, chips, candy, & cereal.  Choose fresh fruits and veggies over canned, if possible.

 

The 80/20 Rule

While all this sounds great, let’s be honest…it seems impossible to stick to this kind of lifestyle indefinitely. There are parties, events, anniversaries, etc. that you will want to participate in.  That is why I suggest the 80/20 rule.  80% of the time, I eat healthy, whole, minimally processed foods. The other 20% of the time I allow myself to indulge in some ice cream, pizza, store bought cookie, etc.  You don’t want to restrict yourself so much that you just want to give up on a healthy lifestyle.  Indulge a little at a party, while you’re out with friends, or while you’re having a family night.  The key is moderation. You don’t need to eat the WHOLE cake, but a slice will do. 🙂  Good Luck!

 

Do you want to get a jumpstart on your new healthy lifestyle? Join my FREE 5 Day Clean Eating Group. Want a little more info? Read about it HERE.

Leave a Reply